Find What You're Looking For:

Monday, June 6, 2016

How to Keep Your Lemons Fresh




How to keep your lemons fresh for up to a month!

The best way to store lemons is to place them in a jar and then cover with water and place in the refrigerator. It turns out the water seals the lemon peel and keeps the lemon from drying out!


How cool is that?

It is such an easy solution and one I had never seen before I read it while doing researching on a vintage recipe.  This vintage trick for keeping your lemons (and limes!) fresh will blow you mind! 

It is such an easy trick and it really works!

I have also tried this with limes and it works but because lime peels are thinner than lemon peels, they don’t last quite as long. I would estimate the lemons last up to a month and the limes can go for about two weeks.

I have never tried this trick with oranges or any other type of citrus because frankly, fruit only lasts a few days at most but I imagine it would also work.

You also don’t need to seal the jar but I keep mine closed because the last thing I need is for this whole thing to spill when my kids are attempting to get something out of the fridge!

As for storing lemons that have already been cut, I found it better to place it in a plastic bag instead of throwing it back in the water because the open lemon makes the water murky after a day or two. It was pretty gross.

Source:  Making it Modern

No comments:

Post a Comment